The Liebster Rules:
- You must post 11 random things about yourself.
- Answer the questions that the nominator set for you.
- Create 11 questions for the people you nominate.
- Choose 11 blogs you love (with less than 200 followers) and link them in your post.
- No tag back (but please leave me a comment on this post with the URL to your Liebster post so I can learn more about you!)
11 Random Things About Myself:
1. I have been teaching middle school language arts for 16 years, I actually am certified in elementary education with an emphasis in middle school science and social studies. (I got the language arts certification by accident!)
2. I have a grandson who is 8 years old and is the light in my life!
3. I have a golden Retriever named Leo and he is smarter than I am.
4. I refer to myself in class sometimes as "The Giant Talking Head". This is brought on by frustration.
5. I have married, divorced, and remarried my husband. (aka Lifers)
6. I love to try new things in my classes! This year it is Interactive Notebooks.
7. I work seven days a week, 365 days a year, and only accept pay for 180 days. (aka Stupid)
8. I have a great since of humor and can be quite funny at times. I think this is why kids like my class.
9. My most embarrassing moment: Forgetting to take the nozzle out of the gas tank when I was finished pumping, and driving about a quarter mile before I realized I was dragging the nozzle, and hose, down the street:) I probably would still be dragging it if I hadn't noticed the people running behind my car!!
10. Every morning on my drive to work I get to a four way stop, and ask myself the same question: When a child walks into your room does your face light up? As long as I can answer "yes" to this question I will continue to teach.
11. I work in a district with a lot of poverty. I sometimes have trouble sleeping because I am worrying about my students.
11 Answers for Tales of Teaching in Heels
1. How long have you been teaching? 16 years, three at my first job, and 13 at my current school.
2. Do you have siblings? I have a sister who is twelve years older than me. She says I am a "Martini Baby". I think she means I was an accident, because I don't like martinis :)
3. How many times have you moved? Six in my entire life and I hate it! I plan on dying where I am at now, or at my desk.
4. Have you taught all the grades your credentialed for? I'm certified for k-9, and have taught 5-9.
5. What is your favorite dessert? Banana Poke cake! I found the recipe on Pinterest. Easy and awesome!!!! I have also become a chocoholic and am in search of a support group to help me control this addiction.
6. Why did you start your blog specifically? I wanted to share some of the things that work in my class, and provide some of the resources that I use to make our difficult job a little easier. I have a couple of things on TPT, but am considering making all my items free. I would rather someone use my stuff, than make a dollar or two. I feel like some bloggers are promoting their business more than the craft of good teaching.
7. Do you like blogs that talk about random things, or just blogs that give away free printables and school "stuff"? Both, I like to see what neat thing others are doing in their classes and I especially like when they freely share their ideas and materials. I also like DYI blogs and anything that has to do with cooking or home organization. I think that is why I like pinterest so much, because of the variety.
8. What is your professional goal for the next 5 years? I have a Masters in Educational Administration and am almost done with my Specialist in Education certification. With this said, I plan on being in the classroom or helping teachers in some capacity. I would accept a position in administration if something came along that suited me, but I prefer being around the kids and don't want to have to find a new job every couple of years like most administrators do.
9. What size shoe do you wear? :) 8 1/2 welcome to the gunboat show!
10. If you could have one superpower, what would it be? The ability to cast a spell and make ALL people caring, compassionate, and tolerant of each other. Or fly, that would be kind of cool:)
11. What is your favorite thing about teaching? The kids, the kids, and the kids!!!!!
11 Questions for Nominees
1. What is your most memorable teaching moment?
2. Who was you favorite teacher in school and why?
3. Why did you start your blog?
4. Are you an animal lover?
5. What is the best book you have ever read?
6. What do you think is the most important subject taught in school?
7. What kind of student were you in school?
8. What drives you crazy about the teaching profession?
9. Are you conservative or liberal?
10. How would your students describe you?
11. What is your favorite age group or subject to teach and why?
11 Blogs I Nominated for This Prestigious Award
This page is a work in progress !
I keep finding blogs and getting distracted! This is very hard for those of us with ADD! Hope to have 11 nominees soon :)